Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The final list!

I'm determined not to buy any more seeds to plant this spring. My poor backyard (less than 1/5 of an acre) can't accommodate my grand dreams. As it is, I'm going to have to build 6 more raised beds to handle all of the vegetables I'm hoping to plant.

I thought I would try to grow only organic seeds, but decided that I'll grow whatever looks good, without the use of any pesticides and see what happens. Perhaps when my budget is higher I can order only organic seeds!

Here's the final list of seeds I've got. Most of them came from Johnny's of Maine (www.johnnyseeds.com) and a few are from various garden stores in my area. Every time I went to the store, I picked up another packet of seeds. Couldn't help myself!

Veggies:
Organic Sugar Snap Peas
Organic Broccoli
Carrots
Baby Pam Pumpkins
Autumn Wings Ornamental Gourds (just for fun!)
Lettuce
Organic Zucchini
Smooth Leaf Spinach
Heirloom Winter Squash "Boston Marrow"
Super Sweet 1000 Cherry Tomatoes (worked so well for me last year! I didn't even get the dreaded blight)
Organic White Bunching Onion
Melting Sugar Snow Peas
Mixed Bell Peppers

Herbs: Sweet Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Dill, Chives, Sage

And I'll also try to grow some flowers, just 'cuz they look nice! Sunflowers, Sweet Pea, Forget-me-Nots, Lupine, and a random "Wildflower Mix"

I hope to get the seeds planted in their little seed pots this weekend. The forecast is for rain, so it will be the perfect time to get them going. This is my second year ever growing veggies, so wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Great list! The rise on Organic had me finding a wide variety of organic at Home Depot and Lowes for about $2 a piece. You can seed save this next year what is bountiful too.

    Dont' forget the sunflowers edible seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOHHH sounds great! Johnny's seed is a great company, great people and neat little shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel, I couldn't stop buying seeds either. My husband said the whole yard will be a garden. Best of luck on your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info, Crystal! I had not even thought of saving seeds, but I think I will definitely try it.

    This is my first year ordering from Johnny's, and their customer service has been absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete