Sunday, October 16, 2011

Butternut Bonanza

While I may go down in history as the worst and least prolific blogger EVER, I can proudly proclaim "I am GOOD at growing Butternuts!"

I will admit to all of you, however, that I did not intend so many squashes. My mom and I used seeds that we saved from last year's harvest. Being new to saving our own seeds, we didn't note that we should have been paying attention to what varieties we were attempting to save. I planted three hills of Acorn Squash seeds saved from last year, and three of Butternut. I got SIX hills of Butternut. Apparently the hybrid acorn squash reverted to its parent plant, which must have been butternut.

I count 14 harvested so far, with six more or so still ripening in the garden.

I couldn't be prouder.

1 comment:

  1. You should be proud! Those butternuts are gorgeous! Ours are kinda funny looking and odd shaped, but they taste delicious and I am still so proud! :)

    ReplyDelete